Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Repeater Setup for Dragon Link

I posted a "Mini How-To" on my RCGroups blog, located here.

The Dragon Link UHF transmitter is designed to interface with the trainer port of the radio (in my case, the DX20). The trainer port outputs a PPM data stream, which (I didn't know until I was configuring my DX20) is limited to 8 channels. The solution to be able to use more channels (up to 12) is to use a repeater setup.

To make a repeater setup, I'm using an OrangeRX receiver that can output an SBUS data stream (digital) to the Dragon Link. So now I will be using the Spektrum DSMX protocol of the DX20 to communicate on 2.4 GHz (as designed for normal range aircraft) to the OrangeRx. The OrangeRx's SBUS output is wired to the input of the Dragon Link transmitter, which has been reconfigured from PPM to SBUS. Now I have a separate "repeater" (takes the 2.4 GHs data and repeats it as the output from the Dragon Link transmitter) station on the ground with the OrangeRx and Dragon Link transmitter, rather than having the Dragon Link plugged directly in the DX20.

This means it's a far less bulky setup for moving around at the field while flying. It also means I don't have to remember to try to hold the Dragon Link antenna vertical for maximum signal reception, because the module will be fixed in place to be vertical. I finished the 12 channel setup tonight, and verified that either failsafe condition (2.4 GHz  or Dragon Link failsafe) will trigger the return to home flight mode in the Vector flight controller. I still need to make some kind of stand or container to mount the components to.

Dragon Link Transmitter, OrangeRX Receiver, and 2 Cell Lipo to Power Both

No comments:

Post a Comment