Monday, October 9, 2017

New FPV Antennas for the Sabre/Headplay

I had previously been using a really cheap (and bad) set of video antennas on my setup. I just ordered a pair of Video Aerial Systems's (VAS) Ion antennas. One goes on the video transmitter on the plane, and the other goes on the video receiver on the Headplay head set.

The Ion is a very compact omnidirectional antenna, which claims to have the highest gain of any omnidirectional antenna on the market for FPV. This means that the radiation pattern is compressed into more of a disk shape, rather than a sphere. This is ideal for extending my video range because it means the radiation pattern isn't getting wasted in the vertical direction, and instead can extend further horizontally.

The Ion also has a very high standing wave ratio (SWR), which means more energy is sent in the signal that would otherwise be lost to heat due to internal reflections in the antenna.

I may find that they increase the video clarity as well. I'm really looking forward to giving them a try.

The cheap pair of antennas. I couldn't even find any name or
polarization designation on the package.

Headplay SE with the Ion Antenna

The Ion Antenna mounted to the Video Transmitter in the Sabre Wing

No comments:

Post a Comment