Thursday, February 15, 2018

New Video Ground Station Schematic

I have some more FPV related equipment on the way. Some of which will “complete” my ground station once it is integrated into the existing version. I have a monitor to add to the setup for a backup display and backup DVR, but the main change is the addition of "diversity."

This is done by adding a second video receiver and the Eagle Eyes diversity module to the setup. The Eagle Eyes module takes whichever of the two video signals is stronger and uses that as the output. This is really handy for using both an omni-direction antenna (such as the Airblade) and a direction antenna (such as the Crosshair) at the same time.

An example is if I was flying out to 5 miles to say, my right side. In this case, I would have the Crosshair aimed in the general direction of the flight, since it's a directional antenna. On the return trip however, I may want to fly behind myself by a couple miles, or even pass myself and go to the left by a mile or two. In this situation, the omni-directional Airblade would have the stronger signal, all while the Crosshair is still aimed to the right. The Eagle Eyes switches between the two automatically, so I should never have to re-aim my ground station from the direction of the long range portion of the flight.

A new schematic follows:

Updated Video Ground Station Schematic

No comments:

Post a Comment