Saturday, December 2, 2017

1.3 GHz FPV Gear, Microphone

My intent with my long range FPV setup has always been to eventually switch from 5.8 GHz to 1.3 GHz video frequency. This is due to better long range ability, due to the lower frequency. This is the go-to frequency band for long range FPV pilots. I took advantage of some Black Friday online sales and started getting the equipment to do this.

I have a now have 400 mW 1.3 GHz video transmitter, a 1.3 GHz video receiver, as well as a 5.8 GHz repeater (to allow me to use my Headplay's built-in 5.8 GHz video receiver wirelessly). I also have a Crosshair antenna for use at the ground station, which I will need to do some serious modifications to, since the equipment is bigger and heavier compared to the 5.8 GHz gear.

The ground station will likely consist of a tripod to mount everything to. This will allow for convenient adjustments to the directional antenna, as well as having an elevated, and consolidated place for all the support equipment.


1.3 GHz Video Transmitter (New is Green)

My Bench Test Setup

I don't have all this stuff set up yet, but made some progress. I rigged up the equipment on the bench successfully and it all works just fine. The picture above shows the test bench setup. The video transmitter (green) is rigged up to a battery an FPV camera. The video receiver (silver) is rigged up to power, and to the video input on the repeater. The repeater (smaller and green) is rigged up to the video output from the 1.3 GHz receiver.

433 MHz / 1.3 GHz Notch Filter
This filter is recommended for use at the Dragon Link transmitter. It goes between the transmitter and the transmitter antenna, and is supposed to filter out the frequencies in the range that can affect the video signal.
Ground Station Repeater with The Filter Installed


Microphone
I decided to try to get audio working on my setup. The Headplay SE supports audio so I figured why not experiment with it. The microphone was inexpensive and should be very straightforward to wire in to the Vector and video transmitter. (12/3/17: Updated here.)

I'll post more progress as progress is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment