Saturday, December 2, 2017

Vortex 230 Mojo

I've been somewhat interested in the modern "race drones" (multirotors or quad copters is all I will call them from now on, because drone is incorrect, and has a negative connotation thanks to the media).

Anyway, since becoming more and more involved with FPV, I decided to try the newest member of ImmersionRC's Vortex lineup, the Vortex 230 Mojo. These race style quad copters are designed to be flown FPV. It comes with everything already installed, including the flight controller, camera, and video transmitter. It will be significantly more convenient to fly than the Sabre, since it is small and portable, and will be able to be flown in smaller places. In general, quads like this are sort of the opposite experience compared to long range FPV. That is, it's high energy and short duration flights, low to the ground.

It came complete as a Bind-N-Fly (directly compatible with my DX20), and ready to fly with modern electronics. I received it in the mail today, and was able to get it set up and did two flights. I'm happy to say it flies amazing. I was pretty intimidated at first but it is truly easy to fly, even in Acro (non-self leveling) mode. My experience with collective pitch helicopters is beneficial, as the controls are similar. I did a few flips in the second flight. The most amazing thing overall is just how much power it has. A split second jab to full throttle pulls over 100 amps and brings it up to 100 feet or so nearly instantly. I'm currently using China Hobby Line 1300mAh, 4S, 100C batteries. Pictures and links to  (boring) videos follow. While I did have the Headplay powered on for the fights, I have not flown the quad FPV yet. I just used it to record on the DVR.

First Flight Ground Video

First Flight DVR

Second Flight DVR







No comments:

Post a Comment